Experts say that the best way to learn to read is to follow the techniques listed below.
• Start reading to a child as a baby and continue reading to them as often as possible.
• Read books and sign songs that rhyme.
• Have books and other text-based mediums available around the house for the child’s use.
• Teach kids phonics in context – that is, the connections between letters and sounds through puzzles, letter magnets and so on.
• Build on a child’s feeling of competency with regular encouragement when they understand a text.
• Ask the child questions about what is being read to promote understanding of the text.
• Don’t use extrinsic rewards, such as stickers, to encourage reading skill.
• Reward the child’s own, intrinsic, motivation to read – studies show that a lifelong love of reading comes from making early childhood reading fun.